How to Hand-Knit a Baby OnesieKnitting
a baby onesie is a fun and rewarding project that allows you to create a unique and special piece of clothing for your little one. In this tutorial, we'll guide you through the steps to hand-knit
a baby onesie
, so you can create a beautiful and functional piece of clothing for your child.
Materials You'll Need
- Approximately 300-400 grams of worsted weight yarn in your desired color
- Pair of US size 7 (4.5 mm) knitting needles
- Tape measure
- Yarn needle
- 4 stitch markers
- Begin by casting on 40 stitches for the back piece.
- Knit in garter stitch until the piece measures 6 inches in length. This will be the back of the onesie.
- Next, cast on 20 stitches for the first leg. Knit in garter stitch for 2 inches.
- Repeat step 3 for the second leg.
- Join the two legs together by knitting across the front and back pieces, making sure to leave an opening for the crotch.
- Knit in garter stitch until the piece measures 9 inches in total length.
- Next, separate the front and back pieces by placing 4 stitch markers, 10 stitches apart, in the center of the piece.
- Knit the front piece in garter stitch until it measures 4 inches in length from the bottom of the leg opening.
- Shape the neckline by knitting 2 stitches together at the beginning of the next row, and then again at the end of the row.
- Repeat step 9 for 4 rows.
- Knit in garter stitch until the front piece measures 7 inches in total length.
- Repeat steps 8-11 for the back piece.
- Finally, sew the shoulder seams and add any additional embellishments or buttons as desired.
Congratulations, you've just completed a hand-knitted baby onesie
! This piece is not only adorable, but it's also warm and comfortable for your little one to wear.Remember to always check the sizing and gauge before starting your project to ensure the perfect fit.Happy knitting!