How to Knit a Double Star pattern Cardigan
Knitting a double star pattern cardigan
is a great way to create a cozy and stylish garment that you can wear all year round. With this tutorial, you'll learn how to knit this beautiful pattern
using worsted weight yarn and basic knitting
Before you get started, you'll need to gather a few materials:
- Worsted weight yarn (approx. 900-1200 yards, depending on your size and desired length)
- Circular knitting needles in size US 7 or 8
- A set of double-pointed needles in the same size
- A stitch marker
- A tapestry needle for weaving in ends
Begin by casting on the number of stitches required for your size, following the pattern instructions. You'll be knitting the cardigan
in one piece, starting at the bottom hem and working up to the neckline. Here's how to get started:
- Cast on the required number of stitches for your size.
- Knit in rib stitch (K1, P1) for 2-3 inches to create a nice, stretchy border for the hem.
- Switch to stockinette stitch (knit on the right side, purl on the wrong side) for the body of the cardigan.
The Double Star Pattern
The double star
pattern is the main design element of the cardigan. Here's how to knit it:
- Row 1 (RS): *K2, P2, K5, P2; repeat from * to end of row.
- Row 2 (WS): *P2, K2, P3, K2, P2; repeat from * to end of row.
- Row 3: *K2, P2, K3, P2, K2, P2, K2; repeat from * to end of row.
- Row 4: *P2, K2, P1, K2, P5, K2, P2; repeat from * to end of row.
- Row 5: *K2, P2, K1, P2, K7, P2; repeat from * to end of row.
- Row 6: *P2, K2, P1, K2, P5, K2, P2; repeat from * to end of row.
- Row 7: *K2, P2, K3, P2, K2, P2, K2; repeat from * to end of row.
- Row 8: *P2, K2, P3, K2, P2; repeat from * to end of row.
- Repeat rows 1-8 until the cardigan measures the desired length from the hem to the underarms.
Working the Sleeves
Once you've reached the underarms, it's time to work the sleeves. Here's how to do it:
- Transfer the first set of stitches to a holder or piece of waste yarn, then cast on a new set of stitches to create the underarm.
- Continue knitting the body of the cardigan until you reach the other underarm, and repeat the process for the second sleeve.
- Knit each sleeve in the same double star pattern as the body of the cardigan until the desired length is reached.
- Cast off all stitches and weave in any loose ends with a tapestry needle.
Once you've completed the body and sleeves of the cardigan, it's time to add the finishing touches. Here's what to do:
- Join the underarm stitches using a three-needle bind-off or by grafting the stitches together with a tapestry needle.
- Knit the collar of the cardigan by picking up stitches around the neckline and knitting in rib stitch for 2-3 inches.
- Block your cardigan to even out any uneven stitches and ensure a polished finish. Simply soak your cardigan in lukewarm water, press out any excess water, and lay it flat to dry, shaping it as desired.
By following this tutorial
, you'll be able to knit a beautiful double star pattern cardigan that's perfect for any occasion. With its cozy, comfortable fit and eye-catching design, you're sure to get compliments every time you wear it!