A Stylish and Adorable Knitting Project: How to Knit a Narrow Braid Model Baby vest with Two Skewers
If you're a parent or grandparent who loves to knit, you're always looking for new and exciting projects to create for the little ones in your life. The narrow braid model baby vest
is a perfect choice! Not only is it fun to make, but it's also a practical garment that will keep your baby warm and stylish.
What You'll Need
Before we get started, let's gather our materials. You'll need:
- Two knitting skewers (size 5-6mm is recommended)
- Baby yarn (sport weight or DK)
- A pair of scissors
- A tape measure
- A yarn needle
- Buttons or snaps for closure
Once you have your materials, it's time to cast on. Cast on 64 stitches using your favorite cast on method. For this pattern, we recommend using the long-tail cast on.Next, work the first row in knit
stitches, then purl the second row. Continue in this pattern
for 14 rows.
Creating the Narrow Braid Pattern
Now it's time to create the narrow braid pattern
! This is the fun part. Follow these instructions:
- Knit the first 5 stitches of the row.
- Next, slip the next 5 stitches purlwise onto your right skewer.
- Take your left skewer and knit the next 5 stitches.
- Now, slip the 5 stitches you put on the right skewer back onto your left skewer.
- Finally, knit the last 5 stitches of the row.
Repeat this pattern
for every row until you reach a total of 64 rows.
Shaping the Vest
Once you've completed the braid pattern, it's time to shape the vest. Here's what you need to do:
- Knit 15 stitches, then purl 34 stitches.
- Knit the remaining 15 stitches.
- On the next row, purl all the stitches.
- Repeat these two rows until you have a total of 22 rows.
- Then, bind off all stitches.
All that's left is to add the finishing touches! Using your yarn needle, weave in any loose ends. Then, sew on your buttons or snaps for closure.And there you have it – a beautiful and stylish narrow braid model baby vest
, made with love and care by you! This project is sure to be a hit with parents and grandparents alike, and it makes a great gift for baby showers or birthdays.So what are you waiting for? Grab your skewers and yarn, and get knitting